Saturday, February 28, 2009

In Loving Memory of the Bottle.......

I wonder if I have changed.

For a good three months now I have been away from the life I had for the past six years. It wasn’t a totally conscious choice to give up that life, but somewhere I did choose to move. Perhaps in moving I changed too?

It’s a frequent question these days with me. About change. Days I sit and think. But of course I cannot answer the question. Another year has gone by. Another year added to my life. And I think of changes. I ask friends but of course they give diplomatic answers. Ironic is the fact that it is because of them that I wonder thus, for them that I ask the question….

I see these people around me who were just like what I was until now. Life was shared with them. Through them I lived and experienced this world, this life…myself too. But somehow, somewhere it has all changed. I don’t know these people anymore. They are like these passive strange beings caught up in some very every strange inertia. When i see them i imagine a more-or-less lifeless figure doing a slow spiraling dance suspended in mid air.

They say that with time priorities in life change, so people change and the way they perceive things also changes. Perhaps it is so. But I stand and wonder what is it that has brought so much of a gap between these people and me? Is it that they have stopped living or that I have started living truly now. Or they have stopped and are unwilling to move on and I have moved on and away too soon too fast.

When I ask, they tell me that things have changed drastically for them also. I disagree not to this for change is but a truth in life. But then they say that they do not have it in them to move on with their lives, to restructure. They say they need more time…time?

Time?

Time has become nothing but an excuse behind which they hide…and for years they hide…and time goes slipping away.

Time after all has its own pace.

They blame me for changing, for not being sensitive and understanding enough. Maybe it is true. But I wonder now, even as I sit and put this all together into words, that how is it that I was with them? Did I dance this slow wretched dance? How could I live in such passivity? Leave aside how, why was I living thus?

I have seen a lot of random deaths in my life so far…not that death is ever definite. Nevertheless…random in the sense of…..well….being unjustified at that point of time. And I only wonder that if life and all these things, this whole world is so fragile then why is it that we run? Why is it that we run and run…and transform our lives into this stupid idiotic race? And for what? In this denial of death, we fail to live. I wonder if we accept death, maybe we would be better at living. Maybe existence would become a life?

As I grow another year older, and this I realized after a long conversation with a friend, dreams and illusions are changing. Years ago what had been a realizable possibility for me, became an illusion and now as the years pass on, even these illusions are dropping off somewhere along the way, one after the other…..now ever dreams are peppered with a good heavy dose of reality and practicality. Perhaps this comes with age….

And what I find even stranger to understand is that it those very people who encouraged these dreams and illusion within you who bring them crashing down in the name of practicality and sensibility. Of course they do it for our own good…after all it wouldn’t do to live a life of a useless dreamer now would it? So much for a life of passions and of dreams….

But these are random disjointed thoughts really…they say that most coherent and clear are the thoughts of those who are drunk….perhaps that is all that remains…..

Maybe a shot of vodka is all that one needs….but the bottle lies empty by my table…

9 comments:

  1. P.S: the Post has been composed by Gayatri.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps, these people were not so different from us. just that maybe there lives were not ours,nor was the world as we see it now. Perhaps they too had dreams, small or large, unimaginative or creative, but as you say they are all lost now.
    why have they remained and not moved on as they mite have envisioned while age was still at their side?
    and are we, going to be better or worse than them.. Maybe the younger ones will see us with the same pitiless glance of contempt...they are right when they say we lack sympathy. we do, because we see no excuse as to why they would give up and turn into cowards. they are a constant reminder of a future we've still not lived and might have to live. we dont want living proof that we will leave behind all that was precious, ethereal and free.
    all for a neat and precise existence.
    we are riding on the pulse of young blood.
    in our arrogance hides our cowardice. but as u say, time.as they hide behind it..so shall it strip us and reveal the truth. and wat will the truth look like? its scares me enough to never want to see it.
    can i see myself in my truth...or shud i stay where i am. safe in my arrogance, or my submission. have a neat precise life. atleast there is some certainity in that.

    maybe thats you see them hiding...they have much to hide from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and yes,be careful now .. ur keen insight might reveal more misery... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i wonder if these people (perhaps we should include a bit of ourselves here?)have really lost their dreams or have they actually pushed them aside? locked and stashed in some obscure corner of their lives?
    and how much of our living is really about age? for there are those(as you and i both know) who are really ancient souls caught in a young world.
    in our arrogance may lie our cowardice, true. but do we really only ride on the pulse of young blood? for if we do then our lives would be much shorter.there has to be and there is something beyond this all too..but treally these words we use (liberally so if i may add) like arrogance, cowardice, young, old....are all nothing but a state of mind.
    as for my insight, i doubt just how keen it is...for like i said to you earlier, i see that which is shown to me and that much of what i want to see. i too am stuck within the confines of my own comfort and safety. but at the end of the day, i struggle with these limits...of visions and of our worlds..just like you do....

    ReplyDelete
  6. wat u r saying about them having pushed aside dreams, i feel is right too.

    but about the part... that how much of our living is really about age?... ancient souls caught in a young world...
    maybe after a point in every such argument words are inadequate and they crumble, because words are tangible. if we are to step into the realm of the Beyond/intangible/inconceivable/or all that our senses do not have the power to respond to or even catch/ then i beleive all such questions would somehow direct themselves to evolution(past & future)...it cud be physical/mental/spritual/self. maybe some of these eluding answers lie in that territory.. wat do you think? i have begun to think that there is no point in trying to look for singular evolution of one soul/ consiousness. but to actually understand the evolution of this whole humungous ancient race and its collective soul/ consiousness. its writen in buddhism that ' respect all women, cos at some point each of them would have been your mother'. :P just imagine... that wealth of knowledge at ur disposal, that feeling of being much older than u really are in age... could it be the collective consiousness knocking from behind closed doors??

    ReplyDelete
  7. n wats wrong wid a shorter life span.. if we r not going to use it for evolving... mite as well end this existence, maybe we'll do better in some other one... but if we do well here the we cud also expand this life span much longer too...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh god...i cant believe wht i just read...i mean thts the thing which i have always felt and still feels...tht why why n why am i stuck up in the middle of an ocean which is giving me harsh blows n it just cant give me a chance to feel stronger n will the day come when i will be wht i want to be..to be free...free from all the pain, free from the restrictions n boundations of society...I used to thought tht m no better thn a dead man whn everyone around me denied the existence of my thought but later i realized that m living a life which is far better n meaningful thn those who cant understand n cant accept the feelings n thoughts about the life i hv felt n feels...i ran n ran a lot, into the woods n mountains to search...to search for the ultimate freedom, peace n truth...i failed to find peace but ya i found freedom n truth...the truth was hard to accept coz it showed me something about which i never had a thought and the truth was DEATH... after tht not a single day has passed whn i hv not felt the presence of this truth inside my mind...but I feel good that i have accepted it n nt afraid of it nemore...it has to come no matter what...everyone dies so will i...but it feels bad to see tht why cant people around me arnt ready to accept wht i hv become.
    but still who i was before i cant recall n m happy with tht...

    ReplyDelete
  9. it is strange (and at times quite disconcerting) to realize that there were millions before us...and millions after us who grapple(d) with the same questions of life and living that we do. the monotonies that we create in our lives often hide these questions from us until that point of crisis when we cannot but look at them. the answers elude forever so long. but perhaps that old tangle between the question and the answer itself is living...
    and an acceptance of death is but momentary...we are as soon lulled into comforting sense of invulnerability as we turn our heads slightly the other way...but that too is living..
    your tussle with your own sense of identity/identities is something we understand. we change even as we find our core...our essence..

    ReplyDelete