Monday, June 4, 2012

The Sinking Ship



I forget all comas and semi colons. Can I write without any punctuation? Will you be able to discern a question from a statement? A plea from an accusation?
But you are too caught in the rules of this world.....
Grammar... Of life....

These are the bitter seas... and we are off course...far away from all our dreams.
Books and songs..old records and photographs....they all said that the old dreams were the good ones.
But ours are like the long gone shore now. We left it behind a long time ago.
I can imagine a faint wisp of smoke across the sky from the home I left. Is someone warming themselves by the fire?
Not...
The house was burnt down.
Imagine. Dream.

These are bitter seas really and we are the sum total of each other's disappointments. Nothing less and nothing more.
I was good with numbers. But I forgot mathematics somewhere along the road with you.. all the one's merged into the two's and three's. Nothing remained then. Nothing but an amorphous lump of a childhood lesson. I thought we would spin numbers around....
In that old dream I saw, two become a spectacular singularity. But how was I to know that you would fragment me into a million tiny pieces? I could sit awhile perhaps with this idea of a fractured self and life...Million is too big a number no? Perhaps I am just about a hundred pieces strong?
Practical. Real. Essentially you.
Mutilated mathematics.

These are bitter seas and I am looking for metaphors and analogies for us.
You are the one with words. Not me. Never me.
I wanted to drift off and hide somewhere in the Faraway Tree with you.
A small house on blue-green whirls of fantasy.
Think. Imagine.
Moon-face and Dame Wash-a-lot would have been our neighbors.
The elves would have come for tea...White Rabbit and Mr Baggins too...
We could have gone sailing on stray clouds...or skinny dipping in that pool deep in the forest..
Magic.

But these are bitter seas.
I could have been a drunken sailor fighting it.
You came and said it's a sinking ship...

3 comments:

  1. Pause.
    Just for a moment.
    Breathe in and switch on your bedside lamp.
    Welcome to the Illuminated Island of Imagination. I wish you a pleasant stay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Between the lamp and the switch, things got a little fuzzy I think. There's a wire running into what-could-have-been-land...we tripped and fell on that..
    It was simple enough though..one saw water. one saw land. and we saw nothing at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes in life--we drift apart from that one we thought would last forever--sinking the ship of dreams in the process. Lovely write!! Thank you so much for sharing :) Jenn

    ReplyDelete